For printable rules All new rules for 2020! Please read thoroughly!!!
2020 PPW ARTIST COMPETITION RULES
The Artist Rules for the PPW State Competition
1. All entries must be registered at www.printcompetition.com.
2. Entrants may submit prints, digital files or a combination for judging.
3. Entrants are required to upload a digital file for each image (print or file) entered. NOTE: For print entries, the digital file submitted MUST match both the image and presentation. If, for example, the submitted print has a mat and the digital file does not show the mat, the entry will be disqualified.
4. No changes to your entry are permitted once the entry deadline has passed.
5. Entrants do not need to be PPW members to compete and can enter the Artist Competition. Only PPW members can earn merits.
6. No refunds will be issued after the entry fee is paid.
1. Entries may be reproduced from existing photographs, portraits, graphics or any other artwork so long as the entrant is prepared to provide appropriate written documentation indicating permission for usage. This documentation may be requested by PPW before, during or after the competition. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the PPW Photographic Competition Committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law and cannot be proven otherwise, that entry shall be disqualified, and merits revoked, if issued.
2. All processing, manipulation, artwork or rendering must be done by the entrant. Printing may be done under their direct supervision.
3. The entrant's name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
4. A maximum of six (6) entries may be submitted per entrant. For only entries with 4 images printed, an additional 2 printed images can be submitted for a fee.
5. No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment. All images submitted must be self-directed. Images created in an educational environment under direct supervision from an instructor are ineligible.
6. No two entries shall be of the same subject.
7. The following entries are not eligible:
a. Any print, digital image or image from an album that scored 76 or above at any PPW state competition.
b. Any print, digital image or image from an album that scored 80 or above at any PPA Western District or international competition.
8. Entries in the Artist category shall include any subject and must have guide images.
9. Guide images must be included on the submitted digital canvas or mounted/included on the face of the print.
Artist Competition Categories
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry on PPW Print ID & PPW Print Entry Form:
• Portrait: Consists of portraits of Children, Groups, Woman, Man, Couple, Animal, Unclassified
• Wedding: Consists of images of Brides, Grooms, Bride & Groom, Wedding Group, Wedding Candid, Wedding Album, Unclassified
• Commercial: Consists of commercial/industrial images, Scenics, Pictorials, Architectural, Editorial, Advertising/Illustrative, Aerial, Digital paintings and similar subject matter. Portraits and weddings are not appropriate for this category.
• Restoration: Consists of Portraits, Wedding, Commercial, Illustrative, and Candid images that required Repair and Restoration due to surface print damage, color fade, color correction, focus, grain,the extension of an image, missing parts, stains, water damage, etc.
Types of Submission
There are two types of submission: Physical Print OR Digital Image.
• Images may be submitted in any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24".
• Print entries must be mounted on a standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ." foam, or Sintra). Recommended mounting thickness is 1/8" to 3/8". "Float" mounting is accepted at entrant's risk for damage. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
• No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that may damage another entry.
• A digital reference file must be submitted with each print entry. This file must match the submitted print entry, both image and presentation (if a real mat is used on the print, a reasonable facsimile must be used in the digital file). File specifications are the same as under the Digital Submission categories.
• Upload a digital file to www.printcompetition.com follow Digital Submission instruction below.
• If a print is submitted and correctly entered, the print will be judged.
Digital Submission (FOR ALL IMAGES SUBMITTED)
• Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB. Larger files will be accepted when necessary so long as they are JPEG/10.
• Files are to be named, Image Name.jpgwith no underscores or special characters.
• Accounts with www.printcompetition.com. are free for the base membership. The base membership is all that is needed for entry to PPW competitions.
Viewing Conditions for Image Review
Your images must meet the following conditions to be accepted for consideration:
• Prints: LED lighting, 3000K, EV8 (ISO 100, f/16@ 1 sec.)
• Digital Files: Monitor Settings, D65, 120 cd/m2, 2.20 gamma
Deadlines and Fees